Built in 1901 by J. J. Daniels, Baker’s Camp Covered Bridge, also known as Hillis Bridge, is one of three in northern Putnam County, east of the town of Bainbridge.
Three of Putnam County’s nine historic covered bridges, the Pine Bluff, Rolling Stone and Baker’s Camp bridges are within 10 minutes of each other. Pine Bluff is a Howe Truss bridge, 16’ wide and nearly 14’ high, built in 1886. Baker’s Camp, built in 1901, is 128’ long with a 10’ overhang at each end. Rolling Stone’s name came from a boulder in Big Walnut Creek, which it spans. Built in 1915, it’s the shortest at 13’ high. It’s a 103’ long Burr Arch bridge, with a 10’ overhang at each end.
Baker’s Camp Covered Bridge, also known as Hillis Bridge, is east of the town of Bainbridge. It carries County Road 650 North over Big Walnut Creek about 1.25 miles (2 km) south of the road’s intersection with U.S. 36. Built by J. J. Daniels, the bridge is an example of the Burr arch truss design.