Rolling Stone Covered Bridge

Built in 1915 by J.A. Britton, this Burr Arch bridge crosses Big Walnut Creek.

The Rolling Stone Covered Bridge is 103′ long, plus a 10′ overhang at each end. The single-span bridge is 16′ wide and 13′ high, with concrete abutments and a sheet metal roof. The bridge takes its name from a large boulder in the Creek which was rolled around by the action of the water. For protection of the bridge, the boulder has long since been removed.

Three of Putnam County’s nine historic covered bridges, this one and the Pine Bluff and Baker’s Camp covered bridges, are within 10 minutes of each other, just east of the town of Bainbridge. In terms of height, the Rolling Stone is the shortest of the three.